Security window film is a product that can be applied to existing glass windows and doors to improve security. Is window security film any good? And why do so many homeowners choose to install window film? Here is an overview of how security film works and its effectiveness for homeowners.
What is Security Window Film?
Security window films, also called safety films, are made from tough polyester materials that are layered with adhesives so they can be installed directly onto existing glass. So is window security film any good for residential homes? How does security film protect your family? The films come in a variety of thicknesses, tints, and strengths. There is an option right for your home.
When applied to windows and doors, security film helps hold glass together if it shatters, making it harder for an intruder to break and enter. The film also makes the glass more resistant to impacts from blunt forces like hammer blows or thrown objects.
How Effective is Security Film?
Here are some of the benefits security film provides:
- Holds glass together – Security film creates a protective membrane that holds shards of glass in place if the window breaks. This delays entry and reduces the risk of injury from flying glass.
- Increased strength – Window film fortifies the glass and makes it 2-5 times more resistant to breaking and forced entry. Most films can withstand multiple blunt force impacts.
- Extra time – Breaking through a window protected by security film takes much longer, giving homeowners extra time to react or for an alarm system to be triggered.
- Visibility – Many security films are frosted or tinted to make it harder to see inside the home. This added privacy can deter potential break-ins.
- UV rays blocked – Quality films reject up to 99% of UV rays, helping furnishings fade less.
Considerations for Homeowners
Security films are typically made of strong, tear-resistant materials that can be applied to windows and doors. While they are not completely impenetrable, they do provide a significant level of reinforcement to the glass or other materials they are applied to.
This added layer of protection can help prevent break-ins, reduce the risk of injury from shattered glass, and provide an additional barrier against extreme weather conditions. Here are some considerations:
- Professional installation is recommended, especially for large windows and doors, to ensure a tight seal along the edges.
- Effectiveness depends on the film thickness – more layers add durability but reduce visibility.
- Panes with existing cracks or damage are not suitable candidates for security film.
- Alarms, locks, outdoor lighting and other measures used along with security film provide layered protection.
Contact Window Armour Today
For many homeowners, ensuring the safety and security of their home is a top priority. One way to accomplish this is by installing window security film. Not only is it an affordable option, but it also serves as a powerful deterrent against forced entry and can protect against glass hazards. To ensure you are getting the best product for your home, it is recommended to speak with a certified security film vendor who can provide expert advice and guidance on the most suitable options for your individual needs.